Chapter 11 Test on Rome and Christianity :February 22,2012
1. After Caesar's rule, Octavian worked to capture Caesar's killers.
2. Roman roads were primarily built in order to allow Rome's armies to travel through the empire.
3. Latin, the Roman language, spread to the farthest parts of the empire because the Romans conducted business in Latin.
4.The emperor believed that if he banned certain Jewish rituals the Jews would give up Judaism.
5.Many people became followers of Jesus because He traveled and taught them His ideas.
6. The Roman Empire fell because of disease,increased taxes, and corruption.
7. The Romans took a practical approach to science and engineering.
8. The Roman occupation of Judea caused the Jews to rebel against Roman rule.
9.Military battles had an effect on farming because there were not enough farmers to grow the food.
10.By the end of the AD 100's emperors started giving up conquered land because they feared the empire had become too large to defend it efficiently.
11.The Romans made payments to the Goths to keep the Goths from attacking Rome.
12.Theodora's advice to Justinian helped put an end to the uprising against him.
13. Between 58 and 50 BC Julius caesar conquered nearly all of Gaul.
14.The Romans created lasting structures by using arches.
15.The New Testament of the Bible tells about the life of Jesus.
16.Constantinople was the capital of the eastern empire.
17.Most people in the Byzantine Empire spoke Greek.
18.Augustus (Octavian) took the title of princeps, or "first citizen"
19.Romans were tolerant of other people's religion, and they were allowed to worship whatever god they pleased.
20.Early Christians spread the teachings of Jesus to everybody, not just the Jews.
21. Early Christians believed that the Resurrection meant that Jesus was the Messiah.
22.By the end of the AD 100's threats to the Roman Empire came from inside(internal) and outside (external) of the empire.
23.An orator is a person who is a public speaker.
24. Provinces were the outlying areas controlled by Rome.
25. Messiah means "God's chosen one" in Hebrew.
26.A martyr is a person who dies for his or her religious beliefs.
27.Corruption is the decay of people's values.
28. Civil law is a legal system based on a written code of laws.
29.Ovid was a famous Roman Poet.
30.Christianity is a religion that began in the first century AD.
31. Apostles are people who follow the teachings of another person.
32.Persecution means punishing a group because of its beliefs.